Monday, 20 September 2010

Sentence 4.1 and 4.2

A nashiwatse ten tuon chet?

Ten tí yodin bolon chân

Another day another dialogue. This one is between two friends. In the original version they were A and B. When I was writing it up on my computer I named them after the internationally famous stars Iko and Ipe. They were looking for a job after their last gig and seemed to fit in well. I think I have been a bad influence on them as by the end of this dialogue they have wandered off looking for cigarettes! (Smoking is not cool, kids!) So I will keep them anonymous for now.

Sentence 1 has been covered before, it means What is this called? I've made a change since the last time I wrote it because I realised that reflexive verbs can use the short enclitic -se rather than the longer form sebio which is used for 'oneself' or 'you'. There's a gap in the polite second person pronoun and sebio has stepped in to fill it. That's another story. The verb nashiwantse means 'to call a thing' (not a person, different verb).

The answer is It's a tea cup. The new word is bolon, cup. I will be saying more about it in my next entry. Suffice to say it is a neuter noun. Ghostian doesn't say 'cup of tea', instead it puts the two words together without a joining word. Châ has taken the accusative ending because it comes after the verb in that position.

No comments:

Post a Comment