Saturday, 26 June 2010

Take a look and telling the servant

I have decided that my notes say that the pronoun for 'there' should be the neuter pronoun ten after all. Who is there? becomes A ítí ten chomú?

Onto the next two sentences in the dialogue.

The visitor sitting with the host says 'I will go and see', Bodú yir shahestant, literally I go to take a look. Shahestant is another definite verb and means to take a look. It is more common than the plain verb.

The host replies, 'No need. I will tell Shinuwin to go', Kain gieruk. Bodú bâm Shinuwin a yirant. The word the host uses for telling Shinuwin to do something means 'command' and is perfectly acceptable in this language. Poor Shinuwin! Servants get a bum deal. Fortunately he will prove to be a jolly chap! To tell to do something is joined by the accompanitive preposition which here is a.

No comments:

Post a Comment