Wednesday, 15 September 2010

A re-introducation

Yay! This blog is no longer disappearing into the void of its own sounding board. It has joined the the Conlang Aggregator Blog. Yes! *Pumps fist*

As most people read blogs from when they join them I should insert an introduction here.

I'm Andrew Smith. I did Brithenig. This is not a Brithenig blog, that language so has its own life now. This is a blog for creating an Eclectic Language Project. I pulled every Teach Yourself Grammar off the shelf and listed every irregularities in the grammar and non-English word listed in the contents of each. I broadly catagorized them as Verbs, Substantives, Prepositions, Pronouns and Chuvmey (a useful Klingon word that means leaftovers). A quick count and I have collected 56 grammars on my shelf. At the moment I am reading through Teach Yourself Chinese (1947: English Universities Press) and translating them into this new language. There is no extent grammar except of what I putting together and revising as I go. Bear with me.

The language is quite eclectic. It has a lot of rules which must be ferreted out and applied. It has three grammatical genders, masculine, feminine and neuter, marks plurals, and has a adjective system that combines gender, case and weak/strong adjectives. The verbs are more regular, although some common verbs appear to use endings from an older form of the language. What a challenge!

In English I call the language ghostian, the language of the pale people. They haven't told me their name for it yet. In one dialogue it has been called riaknia nena, national language, a borrowing from Chinese. The completed dialogues are being posted to FrathWiki.

I should finish with today's sentence:

A sapiet kiriban kodin?

Teacher asks Can you write? This introduces sapiet, the word for can or know how. The stem sapie- comes from latin. A introduces a question; kiriban is the word for writing; and kodin is used as a question tag, 'don't you?' The normal word for you, kembí has been dropped here presumably for length and is taken for granted.

3 comments:

  1. So, I don't quite understand. When you say you took every word from you TY books, does this mean you have a list of, say, 56 different words for "mother", "father", "son", "daughter", etc.? And what do you classify as an "irregularity"? Can you give us an example?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I've picked a book off the shelf. It's TY Russian (1963). When I looked down the contents I can see I picked out Lesson 16 Irregular Noun Declensions; Lessons 26-27 Declension of etot, etc., and chey, etc.; and Lesson 33 Irregular Verb Conjugations. I haven't made lists of words, instead I search through the annotations of the texts, which I've typed onto my computer and see if I can find examples of words I'm looking for. If I have multiple choices then I decide which characteristics fit best together, for example the stem from X with the grammatical rules of Y. Sometimes there is an information overload, other times there are gaps which I must use imagination to leap. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's truly eclectic. Wow. That sounds like a lot of fun! I'll follow your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete